Tuesday, June 3, 2008

June Discussion Topic - Women & Entrepreneurship

Have you ever toyed with the idea of starting your own business? Have you wondered what it takes to strike out on your own and make a success of it? Then come and join us for the June Women & Hi Tech Discussion group meeting on Women & Entrepreneurship.

This month we will be taking advantage of a wonderful opportunity presented to us by Scott Able (aka The Content Wrangler) the organizer of the DocTrain Life Sciences conference. He have graciously offered to host our evening discussion group meeting; providing us with a meeting room, a speaker, and even an invitation to a complimentary cocktail reception prior to our meeting. The location for the meeting is the Crowne Plaza Hotel downtown at Union Station.

Our format for the evening session will be a bit different from our past meetings. Instead of our open discussion, I’m lining up a panel to share their experiences of going into business for themselves. I’m still finalizing the panel, so if you have a suggestion for a participant or if you’d like to participate yourself, please let me know. I’ll be posting profiles for all of our panelists.

In preparing for this month’s meeting I reached out to the LinkedIn community for advice on resources on the topic of Women & Entrepreneurship. I received such great recommendations that I wanted to share them all. So instead of limiting ourselves to one article, we’ll have lots to choose from. I’m continuing to get more responses and will post additional information as I receive it. If you have a recommendation, post it here for everyone to see.

Recommended Resources on Women & Entrepreneurship:
· http://www.womensbiz.com/
· http://www.witi.com/
· http://www.sbtv.com/
· http://www.preflightventures.com/resources/WomenEntrepreneursLitSurvey01-2005.htm

I’ll also be updating the Women & Hi Tech Community Site to add more resources, post discussion topics, and more. Please stop by, join in the conversations and share any other useful resources with the rest of us. I’m currently finalizing our panel for the event so if you or someone you know would like to join the panel, please let me know.

I’m looking forward to leaning more about this topic throughout the month. I hope you’ll share your thoughts and ideas in the comments section below as well.

Morning Discussion Group:
Tuesday June 17th, 6:45 – 7:30 am
B Java Coffee and Tea5510 Lafayette Road (corner of Lafayette and 56th) on the Northwest side

Evening Discussion Group:
Tuesday June 24
6 pm – Cocktail reception
7 pm – Meeting
Crowne Plaza Hotel at Union Station
123 West Louisiana Street

No comments: